Snohomish County Treasurer Excise Department
Effective November 20, 2012
REAL ESTATE EXCISE TAX AFFIDAVIT & DOCUMENT SUBMISSION
Due to budget restraints and lack of staffing, this office does not have the staff to walk you through the often complicated legalities involved in transferring property. Our primary responsibility is to compare the information on the excise affidavit with the information on the deed or real estate contract you present to ensure it matches.
THIS OFFICE DOES NOT PROVIDE ANY LEGAL DOCUMENTS OR REAL ESTATE EXCISE AFFIDAVITS, NOR CAN WE GIVE LEGAL ADVICE OR ASSIST WITH PREPARING THE DOCUMENTS.
FOR DEED PRPARATION:
- Title Companies
- Escrow Companies
- Real Estate Attorneys
- Note: The law library in the court house has examples of different types of deeds/documents
TO LOCATE LEGAL DOCUMENTS/DEEDS:
- Office supply stores
- Larger stationery stores
- Note: Check with the Auditors document recording division for recording requirements such as margins and fees 425-388-3483
REAL ESTATE AFIDAVITS:
Download from the internet-5th page is instructions: Minimum 3 copies required www.snoco.org Treasurer-Downloadable Forms-Department of Revenue Real Estate Excise Tax Affidavits
- Note: Libraries have computers and printers for public use
EXCISE TAX MUST BE PAID AT THE TIME PROCESSED:
- We do not bill later. Credit cards are not accepted for paying excise-checks, cash, and money order only.
- Effective as of June 27, 2013, payment made by check must be limited to one check per transaction.
SUPPORTING DOCUMENTATION is required for some transactions. There are no exceptions to what is listed in the Washington administration codes located at:
IF EXCISE STAFF DETERMINES A TRANSACTION IS TAXABLE AND YOU DISAGREE, YOUR OPTIONS ARE:
Excise Affidavit Forms