Computers, computer monitors, televisions, other electronics that contain CRTs (cathode ray tubes), and separated computer circuit boards contain hazardous materials such as lead, cadmium and mercury. They are not accepted for landfill disposal at Snohomish County facilities.
You now have many options for recycling computers, monitors, televisions, and some other electronics in Snohomish County:
- Working computer equipment can often be reused! This is even better for the environment and provides many social benefits. Reused computers help close the "digital divide" by making equipment available at lower cost or free to those with lower incomes, youth, non-profit organizations and aide programs. A number of Ecycle Washington and Take it Back Network collectors are engaged in legitimate computer reuse activities. An especially unique non-profit reuse organization is InterConnection (206-633-1517) Please consider reuse before recycling.
- Free Recycling! Many select locations are participating in a new E-Cycle Program and accept limited quantities of televisions, computers, monitors and laptops from residents, small businesses, schools and charities at no charge. This permanent, on-going E-Cycle program is paid for by electronic manufacturers. For the most current list of participating collection locations and services, go to www.ecyclewashington.org or call 1-800-RECYCLE (1-800-732-9253) We periodically update the list of locations in Snohomish County and it can be viewed below.
- Some businesses charge a fee for recycling if they are not participating in the Ecycle Washington Program. These businesses participate in the Take it Back Network and ensure environmentally responsible recycling, as does the Ecycle Washington program. Also, participants in either program may accept other electronics for a fee, such as printers, fax machines, DVD players, VCRs, etc. A list of additional businesses in the Take it Back Network can be seen below.
If you are a small business, small government, school, special service district or charity with more units to recycle than local collectors can accept, please call 1-866-779-6632 for instructions.
If you need a pick up service for large TVs or due to inability to transport to a collection site, reduced rates are available from some collectors participating in the Ecycle program. Two options are Truck on Call (425-488-6772) and Ecycle, LLC, 425-239-4118.
Recycle Electronics at These Locations
- New E-Cycle Program - free recycling of limited quantities of TVs, computers, monitors and laptops from residents, small businesses, schools and charities. If you qualify and have larger quantities, call 1-866-779-6632.
- Take-it-Back Network - small and large quantities accepted of all types of electronics. Fees vary.
- Manufacturer Programs (Apple, Dell, Gateway, HP)