Internship Opportunities-TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED
The Snohomish County Performance Auditor is seeking interns with a range of skills and backgrounds to meet various departmental needs. We hope to have selected students offer a three to six month commitment of 15-20 hours a week at a minimum. Specific work assignments will depend on experience, skills and backgrounds. For graduate level interns, a stipend may be offered if funding is available.
The primary duties of Performance Audit Interns and Performance Audit Assistants are in support of the Snohomish County performance audit function. A yearly work plan is established that includes specific projects requested by citizens, departments, Snohomish County Council and the Snohomish County Executive. Interns will participate in analysis and evaluation of Snohomish County operations and planning as well as participating in performance audits of departments, offices, programs, processes and activities in collaboration with the Performance Auditor. The intern may serve as a team member on large projects or may be assigned individual projects depending on the candidate’s experience and office needs.
Possible Intern Activities
- Assist in reviewing County programs and operations; identify opportunities for improved effectiveness and efficiency, better compliance with legal and regulatory requirements and stronger administrative controls.
- Use appropriate research methodologies and following Government Auditing Standards (GAS) guidelines, develop a research plan, gather and validate data using interview, observation, internal and external surveys, questionnaires and review of files, literature and other documents.
- Analyze information and data using appropriate analytical tools, quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Assist in the development of findings, recommendations and conclusions based upon data and analysis while following GAS guidelines; develop workpapers from collected and documented evidence to support conclusions and recommendations.
- Prepare and complete written audit reports, graphic illustrations and visual aids to communicate audit results, describe conditions, and summarize information and data.
- With the guidance of the Performance Auditor, provide audit information, status and findings to Council/Staff, Executive/Staff, County Managers/Staff and others.
- Maintain confidentiality of information gathered; protect against premature or inadvertent communication of conclusions.
- Maintain files and filing systems, records management and project management as necessary.
- Attend meetings, conferences and hearings as requested.
Ideal Candidates will:
- Enjoy complex challenges
- Work well with all types of people
- Have excellent analytical abilities
- Have excellent writing skills
- Have strong skills with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Experience working in a highly political environment or at a minimum have ability to effectively work in this environment
- Have strong organizational abilities
Submit a letter of interest and resume to:
3000 Rockefeller Ave M/S 302
Everett, WA 98201-4046
Fax : 425-258-9439
Address any questions to:
The county performance auditor 425-388-3006