River Meadows has been a county park since 1972 and is built on what was originally two homesteads. Ancient Olcott artifacts have been found at the park indicating that Native Americans used the property as a trading and settlement destination.
The Tveit and Hovde families homesteaded the site in the late 1800's. Traces of an early farmhouse, along with surviving ornamental plants typical of a farmhouse yard (flowering quince, kerria, rose and daffodils) and old apple trees still exist on Homestead Terrace.
Park development began in 1977.