Code Enforcement responds to complaints regarding building, zoning, land use and nuisance code violations. We investigate complaints and determine if there is a violation, the extent of the violation and the appropriate action required. We work with all affected parties to resolve or mitigate violations. Our Code Enforcement Officers cover all unincorporated property of Snohomish County. We respond to over 1,300 code violations a year.
- Types of complaints Code Enforcement handles:
- Zoning code violations
- Dangerous buildings
- Illegal placement of mobile homes
- Oversized and illegally placed signs
- Construction without a permit
- Noise problems associated with commercial/industrial activities
- Travel trailer and recreational vehicle violations
- Endangered Species Act violations (lakes & streams)
- Junk and/or junkyard conditions
- Flood hazard area violations
- Home occupations
- Fences/Retaining walls
- Building setbacks
- Right-of-way usage
- Shoreline violations
- How to report a violation.
- Often violations are simply a matter of not knowing the rules. Further descriptions of code restrictions can be found on our Information Brochures or through the related links below.
Other Code Enforcement Related Links:
- Dispute Resolution Program Assistance in resolving conflicts peacefully outside of court, including landlord/tenant issues.
- Recycling Information County recycling information.
- Assessor’s Property Information Detailed property information including taxes, acreage, and structure information.
- Snohomish Health District 425-339-5250 - Report onsite sewage system problems, garbage/rodent problems, or other environmental health problems.
- Sheriff’s Office. Call 9-1-1 to report noise problems (except construction), vehicles on county-maintained roads, or trespassing issues.
- Snohomish County Department of Public Works 425-388-3488 - Report road drainage and maintenance, abandoned cars within the right-of-way, traffic signs and signals, road water drainage, retention or run-off, unauthorized signs or obstructions in the right-of-way.
- Puget Sound Clean Air 1-800-552-3565 - Report pollution or odors.
- Department of Ecology 425-649-7000 - Report groundwater/soil contamination.
Comments or suggestions about this web page?