Norman Thiersch M.D.
Chief Medical Examiner
The primary purpose of the Snohomish County Medical Examiner's Office is to determine the cause and manner of death which are of concern to the public's health, safety and welfare. The Medical Examiner is a physician and forensic pathologist who is authorized by state statute to investigate sudden, unexpected, violent, suspicious or unnatural deaths of persons who die within the geographical boundaries of Snohomish County. An accurate determination of the cause and manner of death is essential to achieve our goals:
- The innocent shall be exonerated
- Homicide shall be recognized
- Criminal and civil court proceedings will be provided with documented, sound, and impartial medical evidence
- Unrecognized hazards to public health and safety shall be revealed
- Industrial hazards should be exposed